Saturday, February 4, 2012

If They Knew Where I was Going, They’d Never Let Me Go…



Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.

~Booker T. Washington~


Never did I imagine that by making this my e-mail signature line over 5 years ago this quote would have such a presence in my life. Little did I know but this would be the motto of much of my life. As the situations of my life  began to unfold I found myself replaying this quote in my mind time and time again.

Greatness. It crosses my mind every day. It’s what I aspire toward. It’s what I strive for. It’s what I yearn to leave behind as a legacy. As I mentioned earlier, I had my exit interview from my previous job today. 

Initially, I didn’t want to go. I didn’t want to hear what they had to say. In my mind, what had been done was exactly that…Done. I was ready to move on and forget that I’d ever even walked into that building. But 
I knew I couldn’t give them the benefit of feeling as though they defeated me. I’d spent several months taking their side bar comments and dealing with constant ridicule and I couldn't allow them to feel as though they succeeded.

You see, to most people who don't know me characterize me as that quiet person in the bunch (however those who know me beg to differ) but to those peeps at my job I was the “quiet one.” And in my profession, unfortunately, quiet often equates to unintelligent.  Yeah. That’s what they think. However, I’ve seen quite a few people talk a lot and say absolutely nothing. And in the alternative I’ve seen individuals evoke powerful thoughts with just a few short words.

But I digress. So I went to the exit interview and told them exactly how I felt and exactly what I had experienced during my time at the workplace.  And apparently I wasn’t the first to be concerned with what was going on. I was informed that some changes were about to be made and I can honestly say I couldn’t be any happier. It’s not a revenge thing its moreso a do what’s right type of mentality. 



I find it unfortunate that we are in 2012 and ignorance still runs rampant in workplaces. I’m glad I had the opportunity to state my peace today and now I can move on to bigger and greater things. I’ve worked too hard and overcome far too many obstacles not to seek out greatness.

I clothe myself with greatness each day and exude confidence despite my current circumstance. I know that my time at that job was only for a season.  And I have learned in my lifetime that greatness can’t be attained if you’re not willing to work hard and move forward in spite of adversity. #On_To_The_Next

                                                                                                                Onward and Upward,
                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                          MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment